Tuesday 6 July 2010

Big Ones and Little Ones

I've been rhino spotting again today. I decided to try and do a few in order of the trail that they are on. I think I forgot to mention yesterday that in addition to the 62 big rhino's, there are also 116 mini rhinos, these have all been designed and created by local schools/childrens centres/pre-schools. They are in shop windows and hotel receptions and places like that. I managed to download their map today too, so I'm now officially on the hunt for them too.

1. Elvis
Artist: Martin Band, Sponsor: Bank of America, Location: Railway Station, City Road
2. Fleur
Artist: Rosalind Hargreaves, Sponsor: Wild in Art, Location: Brook Place, Brook Street
3. Guardian
Artist: Michael Haselden, Sponsor: Mill Hotel & Spa Destination, Location: The Mill Hotel Milton Street
98 - Stanley (Mini)
School: Mickle Trafford Village School, Location: Mill Hotel, Milton Street, Chester
Inspiration: Year 5 pupils used the uniqueness and individuality of 'the hand' as the inspiration for this rhino. The size of hands characterise each child's age and in joining them together in the artwork, they represent friendship and illustrate the support they give to one another.
 4 - Hollyoaks Omnibus
Artist: Nicola Windever, Sponsor: Hollyoaks, Location: Bars Roundabout, Foregate Street
18 - The Jolly Green Rhino (mini)
School: Guilden Sutton Church of England Primary School, Location: Cotswold, Foregate Street, Chester
Inspiration: Guilden Sutton have described their rhino as simply a reflection of 'Nature and Spring!.
40 - Rupert (mini)
School: Barton and Weaverham Children's Centre, Location: Store, Queens Street, Chester
Inspiration: The inspiration for Rupert came from a real life baby rhino orphaned when the Zambize river was flooded to make way for the Kariba Dam. Young people and families worked on the design, with every child inscribing their name on the finished artwork as a lasting reminder of their creative communities working together.
88 - A Crash of Rhinos (mini)
School: Christleton Primary School, Location: Primark, Foregate Street, Chester
Inspiration: Wanting everyone in school to be involved in the Rhino Mania project, teachers gave every child the opportunity to create a rhino using a variety of different patterns and designs. These have all been adhered to the sculpture and represent the school mission statement of 'together we learn, together we celebrate'.
5 - Black and White 'Extinct'
Artist: Martin Band, Sponsor: Bank of America on behalf of WWF-UK, Location: Grosvenor Park, Grosvenor Park Road
6- Rhin 'o' clock
Artist: Becky Barnett, Sponsor: Chester Renaissance, Location: Chester Visitor Centre, Vicar's Lane
110 - Clucking Cara
School: Mill View Primary School, Location: Chester Rows Cafe, Chester Visitors Centre
Inspiration: A display was created in the school's communal area using the undecorated rhinos along with stimulating images and questions. The children suggested ways to decorate the two rhinos and the school council chose the top six proposals. The chosen design was a 'rhino of chickens' linking the project with the school's kitchen garden.
8. Safety Sally
Artist: Designed by Bethany Holland, painted by Christleton High School Year 9 students, Sponsor: Cheshire fire & Rescue Service, Location: St John Street/Little St John Street
24 - Linda
Artsit: Emily Lansley, Sponsor: NHS Western Cheshire, Location: The Cathedral, St Werbergh Street
22 - Rodney Rhino
Artist: Phil Crawford with Zak Graffiti, Sponsor: Hospice of the Good Shepherd, Location: The Cathedral, St Werbergh Street
20 - Peace & Freedom
Artist: Wendy Williams, Sponsor: North West Regional Development Centre, Location: The Town Hall, Northgate Street
19 - Lakes Alive
Artist: Anna Benson, Sponsor: Northwest Regional Development Agency, Location: The Town Hall, Northgate Street
I can't wait to go and find some more!

Don't forget my giveaway. All you need to do is create your own rhino related blog post and then leave me a comment with a link to your blog. The prize will be rhino mania goodies and will be drawn at random on 13th September.

8 comments:

  1. wow Love those rhinos!!! I think the Elvis one is my favourite! Wish I lived nearer to come and see them irl, I missed the elephants in London. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow loving alll these amazingly colourful rhinos. what a g8 idea. thanx for all ur comments on my blog, it's g8 to meet a new friend
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing well with these! :-) I love the Elvis one lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! These are really cool. Every bit as interesting as the elephants in London. makes me wonder what's going to spring up next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fabulous. I like the 'crash of rhinos' and the 'lakes alive' ones, but the 'rhin o'clock' one is the one I'd love if I had a big garden for her to live in! Hope you have great fun photographing them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving a comment on journaling junkie. I appreciate that your time of handbags isn't now, yet documenting the bag that is your now is important too. I wish I had snapped pics of everyday stuff like that when my kids were small. 17, 14 and 10 mean I've had a handbag to myself for sometime already.
    As to the rhinos, I enjoyed looking at them, thought Elvis would be my fav but the guardian one resonates the most with me.
    Thanks for the lovely post and for leaving me a comment so I could return the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those rhinos are so cool - i can see a scrapbook page already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are too funny! I've seen horses and cows before but not rhinos. Rochester has benches this year. I've only seen one I loved.

    ReplyDelete